We have reviewed and found out that extension cords are the best choice to enhance safety from your space heater to electrical appliances and power.
For instance, if your space heater pulls 15 amps, you will need an extension cord that can handle at least 15 amps.
Space Heater Power Strip Myth
The space heater power strip myth states that space heaters should never be plugged into power strips because they increase the risk of fire accidents.
Well, as an expert in the field, I can authoritatively say that this is actually not a myth but a serious, reliable safety proposition concerning the use of space heaters in homes.
There have been numerous cases [such as 1 and 2] of fires caused by poorly connected space heaters that have resulted in deaths. It is therefore understandable why the issue of using extension cords and power strips raises safety questions.
Can I Use an Extension Cord with A Space Heater?
Yes, you can use an extension cord with a space heater if and only if the cord has an ampere rating that is higher than the space heater.
This is the only of ensuring that the cord can withstand the power needs of the space heater safely.
If you have a space heater in one of your rooms and the electrical cord on the space is at a distance, let’s say 3 feet, you will need the type of extension cord with 2 or 3 prongs.
The extension cords are designed to enhance your safety by setting the power requirements of the extension higher than the power requirement for the appliances.
It is recommended that you apply these extended cords based on the requirement (wattage) needed by your space heater.
Extension cords usually cannot handle high currents. When you use these devices on high current flow needed in space heaters, both tools can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow.
Space Heater Extension Cord Buying Guide
Once again, I would like to remind you that using extension cords and power strips should be the last resort. In this section, we will explore some of the properties of extension cords suitable for use with space heaters.
The majority of extension cords for space heaters have either two or three-prong plugs based on your application. You may require a specific plug for higher amperage devices.
Every extension cord on the market is designed to specially handle the power requirement of your particular space heater.
Most extension cords on the market have a cord gauge vs amperage diagram to help you have an appropriate choice.
The outside cover of the cords is meant to protect the wires from moisture, or accidental stepping on by persons in the room.
The outer layers have a designation designed with a sequence of letters with specific meanings for safety when using.
The size of every extension cord varies according to the user’s specifications. The extension cords recommended here are designed with a higher diameter for the heavy-duty of your space heater.
The Best Heavy-Duty Extension Cables for Space Heaters
If you are looking for the best brands of extension cords, the following are the great choice that you won’t regret using due to their effective performance and the safety measures it provides.
Cable Matters is the best brand of sturdy but flexible grounded extension cord that enhances your safety while using space heaters in your room.
This brand is designed with a 16 gauge, with an input current of 13 Amps and an overall weight of 2.47 pounds.
- The 16 AWG GAUGE of this device has a three-prong extension cord rated for 13 Amps to support the common voltage power requirement of your space heater home.
- Cable matters extension cord is designed with a NEMA 15-5-P grounded power plug and a 3-pin female NEMA 5-15R connecter for effective use.
- Its 3-prong extension can be connected to a standard 3-pronged 120V AC outlet receptacle.
- This brand offers various sizes at cost-effective prices
- Made of a 16 gauge copper wiring rated 13 amps and 1625 watts for efficiency.
When it comes to using Maximum Cable for your space heater, you are certain of many safety issues associated with electric appliances to your space heater being addressed.
- The cable is white and attractive bringing a beautiful décor to your room.
- Maximm uses a flat plug design that does not protrude from the wall like other cables hence providing a perfect fit in your wall.
- This device can be rotated even after being plugged in creating a room for other cables you may wish to add.
- The devices work best for high-amp space heaters and other appliances.
- Maximm works great for space heaters requiring extra reach.
For those in need of a heavy-duty extension cord, Iron Forge Cable is the best solution designed with effective features to address safety challenges associated with your space heater appliance.
- Iron Forge Cable is rated at 15 amps and 1875 watts, capable of driving a higher-power space heater in your room.
- This brand uses 10 gauge wire capable of high-duty operations.
- The thicker wire design of this device offers a consistent power effective high performance.
- This cable is capable of withstanding overheating effects associated with prolonged use of your heater.
- Comes with a Lifetime Warranty.
- No challenge has been reported for using this device for the past year.
Related Post: Best-rated and safest surge protectors for space heaters.